Sunday, February 8, 2009

Profiles in Courage:

Crispen Stanbach : The Early Years.

We were cleaning out the top floor of my house, which is used for storage right now, in a fit of the rarely-seen-Stanbach-cleaning-escapade. We found a box of pictures that we thought were lost forever, and lo and behold, they exist.

Ye Gods, they explain a lot. For Example, the two I am going to show you today explain what was happening to me in my most formative years. First, the man who raised me :


The young Man in the Top Left is my father. He is the kind of person who would not only let me stay up and play video games, he would keep me up playing video games when I wanted to go bed.

I clearly remember hearing him, at One in the morning, say "Hey, wake up, we have to beat this last boss." By the way, we never beat the last boss in Super Mario RPG. It was rough.

Of course, the picture that is the most revealing about my character is this one. Its from my Kindergarten Graduation. I went to Blessed-Sacrament Huguenot, a small private Catholic School. I didn't fit in to say the least.



"Well, well, Crispen, we asked everyone to dress up."
"I... I did, I have buttons on my shirt. "

What was I excited about? Everything, I had just made it through a year of pure hell( my teacher refused to teach me how to read, because I was too happy, her exact words) and I was leaving. I would never see the halls of that school again.

I'm not sure why everyone else was so serious, but I was enjoying myself.

Just thought you might find these, at the very least, to clear a few things up.

2 comments:

YesNoMaybeSo said...

haha awww crispy!! hahaha I LOVE SUPER MARIO RPG! oh my goodness...that was the shizzle of super nintendo! my sister sold my super nintendo. I'm still bitter about that actually haha

Donia said...

found this blog somehow through random links...found the photos and your stories sad and beautiful. wish you all the best as you move on to the next chapter this year. take care.